Island Montessori School is a non-profit registered charity.
We are licensed by the Community Care Facilities Licensing Board for 36 children (Group Day Care License No. 64007078).
Our regular hours of operation are 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Island Montessori is open September through June each year and provide before and after school care (7:30 am – 5:30 pm) and Pro-D days.
To be champions of inclusive, caring, and respectful early childhood education
founded on Montessori principles and values.
To nurture every child’s love of learning, while fostering
growing independence, confidence, and self-esteem.
Our Guiding Principles
We believe in integration, where appropriate, and in early intervention.
We believe that all children have the right to:
- Feel welcome in school – their “home away from home”
- Be challenged to learn at their own pace
- Be able to discover their own interests and strengths
- Learn and receive compassion in a positive integrative environment
- Learn to become independent and self-reliant
- Learn by teaching others
- Receive additional support when needed
We believe that families should:
- Work together with staff in the best interests of the children
- Feel encouraged, empowered and supported
- Be involved in decision-making regarding their children’s development
We believe that the staff should:
- Be highly trained and able to apply their skills to all children
- Have a positive and proactive attitude
- Be genuinely interested in the children’s personalities and emotional, intellectual and physical needs to make them feel comfortable and safe
- Foster the children’s independence and self-reliance
- Work closely with parents to maintain consistency for the children’s school and home environments
- Believe in integration and early intervention
We believe that a good educational and support program:
- Uses a wholistic approach to teaching
- Is child-centred
- Teaches the child as a whole
- Is well-documented, frequently monitored and adjusted to the child’s needs, whatever they may be
- Is tailored to suit the child’s needs in the program – not trying to mold the child to suit the needs of the program
- Has a reasonable adult to child ratio
- Focuses on proactive early intervention, continuing support, where necessary, and integration and inclusion where appropriate
- Celebrates and honours diversity (cultural, religious and so forth)
We believe that all people have the right to respect, dignity, fairness, equality, consideration, compassion, and empowerment.